Fun Activities to Do While Camping
We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
One of the reasons people love camping is the fun activities they do. What you do on your camping trip depends on the place you go. If you pick a place with planned activities, that is easier.
Activities like ziplining, horseback riding, white water rafting and so forth are all great to do with the experts in charge.
You can break down a list of fun activities in several ways: what to do when it is nice out vs what to do when it is raining, etc. You could have a list of things to do during the day vs during the night. How about a list of things for spring and summer camping vs fall and winter camping?
You get the idea, there are as many ways to organize your list as there are things to actually put ON it.
Lets touch on a few of the fun ideas and activities you can do while camping…
Fun Activities to Do While Camping
- Take Photos – Don’t forget that this is a great time to practice your photography. Plus, good pictures of the kids having a good time are always fun to look back at years later. You can imprint the memory on your brain and in a picture for generations to come.
- Wildlife Watching – Whether it’s bird watching or watching other types of wildlife, you can learn so much when you’re out in the wild. If you have a good phone that still works out where you’re camping, you can take pictures and use software to identify the animals you’re looking at if you desire to.
- Hiking – If you have mountains nearby, it’s fun to hike up the mountain so that you can take in the cooler weather and views from the top. It’s exhilarating and fun to do, and good for you. Just make sure you know what you’re doing and dress for the terrain so you don’t fall.
- Swimming – Most camping areas offer some form of swimming opportunity. Whether it’s a lake or a river, swimming is always fun for most kids and adults. Plus, it lets you cool off and feel refreshed.
- Fishing and Boating – Some people like to catch their dinner, so if you have a boat you have many additional options while you’re camping. Even if you don’t have a boat, you still may be able to fish for your food. Check licensing requirements before fishing, though.
- Reading a Good Book – When you’re camping, it’s okay to be lazy. You can sit in a chair, or if you have a hammock stand, lie in there while you read a good book. It’s easier to read a book outside if you wear glasses or use a Kindle Paperwhite.
- Canoeing – If you’re camping near a river, it’s likely that you can also enjoy canoeing. You may not even need your own canoe. You can often rent them, or you can try rafting, tubing, or even white-water rafting depending on where you are.
- Singing around a Fire – Even if you can’t play guitar, you can use a battery-powered radio or your phone to play music while you’re sitting around a fire enjoying s’mores. Singing together is always a fun thing to do.
- Ziplining – Many camping site areas have planned activities nearby, and one fun thing to do is to go ziplining. Ziplining allows you to see the view from up top and also get a thrill from going down fast.
- Trail Walking – Many campsites have walkable trails. Some of them have history, and others have exercise points where you can stop to do a different exercise. The most fun ones have a mixture of scenery, history, and exercise.
- Climbing – If you don’t know how to climb, sometimes you can pay an expert to teach you. Often there are experts near camping sites with businesses that do just that. When you do climb and explore, leave nature as you found it by remembering to remove all equipment.
Now, if that wasn’t enough ideas, I have a few PAGES Of fun things you can do together as a family.
So, let’s look at this 2-page list I whipped up for you! Want ideas for fun tings to do as a family? Gotcha covered! How about trying those unique camp out only cooking recipes where you play with a pie iron or make a breakfast in a bag? Gotcha covered! For when it is raining? Gotcha covered! For when you just want to commune with nature? Gotcha covered!
In the water – at night – with physical activity – when you want to relax… Gotcha covered! And here is the best part – it is “bucket list” style so you can check off things as you try them! There is even a spot where y’all can write in your own ideas, if I missed something good you should share in the comments!
Make sure you get your FREE copy of my printable fun camping activities list so you are all ready for camping season – have the whole family help decide what to try first!
There are so many things you can do while camping, including just sitting back and relaxing with a good book. Don’t underestimate good downtime as well as fun planned activities. Don’t over-pack your days, because you want to have fun and relax too.